Uniting workers and communities in the London Borough of Camden
NSL workers working on the Camden parking contract have voted overwhelmingly for strike action. Following this UNISON’s national Industrial Action Committee has authorised official strike action. The strike by our branch’s members on the NSL parking enforcement contract is set to start next Monday morning (the 24th) and run through Thursday (27th), possibly coinciding with the next round of strikes on London
Camden NSL workers made over £24 million profit for Camden Council in 2014 and contributed to NSL’s £18 million plus profits for the same period
Camden UNISON submitted a claim that would take basic pay from £8.92 an hour up to £10.50 .
The final offer made by NSL is to pay CEOs (Civil Enforcement Officers, the new name for Traffic Wardens) £9.27 an hour 12p above the current rate of London Living Wage of £9.15
NSL is now the biggest player in the parking enforcement industry and a leading bidder for privatised NHS ambulance/patient transport services. The firm is ultimately controlled by a private equity company, AAC Capital Partners.
Working as a CEO is a hard and dangerous job. The workforce is predominantly black African. Verbal abuse is not uncommon and often overtly racist.
We ask branches to visit picket lines and take collections and donations. Cheques should be made out to Camden UNISON, 59 Phoenix Road Brill Place, NW1 1ES. (Camden UNISON (email@example.com, 020 7974 1633).
Picket lines will be at:
• Guilford Street, WC1 – nearest Tube: Russell Square (right turn out of the station)
• Hampstead, NW3 – Haverstock Hill (the old Hampstead Town Hall) very near Belsize Park Tube (left out of the station)
• Holmes Road/Spring Place, NW3 (next to Camden Building Maintenance Depot) houses CCTV workforce – nearest Tube: Kentish Town; also near Kentish Town West Overground station
• Kilburn, NW6 – Belsize Road & Kilburn Priory, nearest Tube: Kilburn High Road, and
• Regis Road, NW5 – Car Pound & CEO Base, nearest Tube: Kentish Town.
The branch is intending to mount picket lines at all the bases/workplaces from 7.00 AM for three to four hours each day.
Latest information at http://www.camdenunison.org.uk